Sunday, December 9, 2012

My word for 2013

It's a little early, but this is the second night in a row that sleep has eluded me (not because of 9:00 PM Starbucks tonight, though), so I've been thinking about my word for next year.

I struggled with this because there are so very, very many crappy character traits I need to work on. I thought about thankful or grateful because I have a real problem with being thankful for all that I have; as a naturally pessimistic person, I tend to focus on what I don't have, rather than acknowledging and appreciating what I do. I thoguht about revisiting my prior words of peace or freedom because I didn't really get where I wanted to with either one. I thought about faith and patience because I need some of both. I thought about organize because my life is a freaking mess at the moment - literally and figuratively - and could use a good organizing. I rejected all of these, but organize led me to simplify, which has as a synonym refine.
Refine verb \ri-ˈfīn\ :  to free from impurities or moral imperfection; to improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; to free from what is coarse, vulgar, or uncouth; to become pure or perfected; to make improvement by introducing subtleties or distinctions.
I think that fits pretty well with what I need and want to do with my life over the next year. I need to improve my life and myself by pruning some things and people that aren't helping me be a good person. I need to introduce some subtle changes to make my life better. I need to get rid of some "impurities" in my life. Become perfected. That's always the ultimate goal, isn't it?

So. There it is. 2013 shall be the year of Refine.

4 comments:

Doing My Best said...

I've loved the word of the year idea but haven't been able to think about it long enough to ever come up with one for me. But I think I did this year! I chose "courage" for the outside of my bracelet, so I think that's going to be my word for the year. When my bracelet finally comes, I'll post about it and link to the seller I got it from, in case you'd like a bracelet for your word too =).

Laura Diniwilk said...

I love this. I am trying to think of a word that will help me move on from all of the crap I went through in 2012. I'll let you know if I think of one.

Also, I think we have similar taste in jewelry, because I love both the ring you ended up choosing and the jeweler you linked to from your Christmas list.

I kind of want this ring:
http://olivebungalow.com/item_99230/Chunky-Customizable-Sterling-Silver-Gemstone-Ring.htm

Stacked with whatever word I pick. A double reminder of my commitment to keep my family together.

I wish I knew you in real life so we could sit down, drink coffee, and discuss our lives and our words. I'd love to hear what you were thinking each year when you made your choices.

Michelle said...

That is perfect Em. We need to do decaf next time.

Shani Hursh said...

I love the word you chose. I always pick a word or phrase for the new year, in lieu of a resolution. For a few years it went with " it's going to be a no s%!$ New Year" and I would warn my friends and family of my motto. Obviously, since I chose it a few times, I was not as successful as I'd hoped I would be. I think the word 'refine' is a kindler, gentler, more refined way of staying what I attempted. It's much more grown-up.

I feel very much like you do. I'm a pessimist and sarcastic and the super sensitive. I put up a strong front and then internalize only the negative feedback I get. I have observed that other people who TRULY don't care about perfection are happiest. I have read lots on the concept, from a mental health perspective, and understand that perfectionism is really a sickness and the acceptance is a better goal. I struggle with that concept too.

So, well done.....you have chosen wisely.