Saturday, July 21, 2012

Good news, bad news

The good news is it wasn't my fault and no one was hurt.

The bad news is I'm pretty sure the guy didn't do enough damage to get me a new car.


I was rear-ended on the way to work yesterday. I was in the left turn lane and the arrow turned yellow. I was too far back to make the light, so I stopped. The guy behind me didn't.

I'm sore today, of course, but not actually injured. The worst of it is the toenail that got ripped off when my foot jammed into the brake pedal. I ended up in the ER yesterday afternoon anyway because my doctor couldn't get me in until next Thursday and the urgent care I went to sent me to the hospital (pretty much because they didn't want to deal with the paperwork, I think). I felt stupid being there for what was clearly no more than muscle strains and a broken toe nail, and the doctor only reinforced that by practically laughing at me through my whole exam. But I've seen enough car accident cases in my career to know that a trip to the doc is essential. Otherwise, I'll end up having my leg amputated because my toe nail turns gangrenous, and I'll never be able to get compensation for it because there's no proof that it was related to the accident. See what being a lawyer does to one's brain? Don't go to law school, kids.

So today I'm not doing much except hanging out with several ice packs, subsisting on a diet of Motrin and Diet Coke, and trying to keep the boys from using me as a jungle gym. And until the adjuster gets here on Monday, I'm holding out hope that this accident will be the end of my sad minivan.

3 comments:

Doing My Best said...

Oh no! You really didn't need ONE MORE THING like this =(. I'm so glad you're okay though!! CDP FOR SURE!!

Michelle said...

That BLOWS! Glad you're ok though!

Bunny @ 86n It said...

Glad everyone is ok. I say buy some cookies and lemonade for the adjuster. Use a $50 as a coaster.