Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The daycare story

Been a while, huh? Sorry about that.

This week's big news is that we moved W to a new daycare. It's an actual center (as opposed to the in-home center he used to be at), which made me nervous for a whole host of reasons, but so far, everything seems to be going well. This place specializes in kids with sensory processing issues. All of the staff have sensory integration training, they really focus on making sure the kids get in a lot of heavy work every day, and - the best part, as far as my schedule is concerned - they do in-house occupational, speech, and physical therapy. W's Early Intervention person told us about this center (about two weeks before he turned three and we lost all the EI benefits we could have used there, but whatever. I'm not bitter about our EI experience or anything), but we just finally got around to looking into it. It's pricier than the old place, but I think it'll be worth it, both in terms of the benefits to W from getting the more structured environment and the benefits I'm going to get out of not having to take him to inconveniently-scheduled therapy appointments every week. My recent need for time off has just about pushed work to its limits, I think, so the less I have to leave the better. (Fun fact:  this week is the first full week of work (defined as at the office all but one hour a day for lunch) I've had since the first week of November.)

I was worried about what our old provider would think about us moving W. She was absolutely fantastic with him, but her center just wasn't set up to give him the structure and extra sensory stuff he needs. I know he was getting frustrating for the ladies who work there, even though no one ever directly said anything. When I first brought up the move, she looked hurt, but as I told her about the center, she got so excited for W and thought it sounded perfect for him. Actually, everyone I've talked to about it thinks it sounds perfect for him.

Leaving the old place was hard, mostly for me. R is still going there, so it's not like we're done with them completely. But it was still hard to bake the cupcakes for his last day, and hard to leave him that morning, knowing he wouldn't be back. Luckily, B picked the boys up that night, so I didn't have to deal with the final goodbye (I totally would have cried). The ladies were so wonderful to W, and I know he got great care there. It's a little nerve-wracking to move him somewhere that I don't know any other families, I don't know the teachers, and is a much more formal environment.

I was concerned about how he would adjust to the new place. He LOVED our old center and its owner. He went there most of his life (almost two years). He had friends there. But he's proven that little kids are more resilient than we might give them credit for. I caved in and called to check on him the first day, and got good reports. He chatters on about daycare each night, and we've heard that he's very social, listens well, and fits in great. Of course, it's only been three days. I'm hoping this keeps up, though.

As an added benefit, the new center's hours allow B to take W in the morning. This is awesome for me because it means I only have to deal with getting R ready and out the door in a timely fashion in the mornings. It's been rough so far (I think R misses W...he looks in W's door as we walk past, and then starts crying. For the rest of the morning), but I'm hoping it will get better as we all settle into our new routine. I'm also just a wee bit excited that B FINALLY gets to see what I go through every. single. weekday. morning. He's always had to be at work before daycare opened, so I was always solely responsible for the boys. And I'm a wee bit satisfied that he's losing his after-work alone time (he gets home around 3:30, we get home around 5:30). That man has no idea how good he's had it in the everyday childcare realm for the past couple of years. Even though he's probably going to be super bitchy about it for a while, it'll be worth it for him to get a taste of my everyday (not that it will make a bit of difference, I'm sure, but a girl can dream, right?)

So. W's at a new place. R's at the old one (for now at least). Things seem to be going well for both, though I think they miss each other during the day. I'm sure I'll keep you posted on any thrilling developments that happen along the way.

5 comments:

Doing My Best said...

Wow! I didn't even know there WERE day care centers that specialize in kids with sensory issues! That is WONDERFUL!! And HOORAYYYYYY for in-house therapy!!! It is so hard to get to all of those appointments if you have anything else you're supposed to be doing! I'm so glad this has worked out for you =)!!

Jill said...

Can I be nosy and ask where you are taking him?

I wonder if it is where I take D.

You can email me jillbean78@gmail.com

Danielle said...

I'm glad to hear everything is going well. We moved our son from an in-home daycare to a "real" daycare center back in November. Unfortunately, our move was due to the fact that the in-home provider was taking on more than she could handle and the children were suffering. So far at the new place we have been more than happy! I hope you get the same results!!:)

Kimberly said...

I am so glad that it specializes with kids with sensory problems. And that it will take the other babe in the morning.
We haven't put Chunk in daycare...he goes to Nana and Papa's house...so I don't even know how hard it is to find a good place.

Amanda @ There Are Two Sides said...

That is fantastic news!