Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Unreasonable expectations?

I, like everyone, have expectations of the people living in my home. I don't think they're unreasonable, but it seems that those living in my household - me included - have difficulty meeting my expectations. Seeing that I live in the midst of it, I need some perspective. Are my expectations unreasonable?

My familial expectations:
  • Treat each other respectfully.
  • Do your part of the housework.
  • If one spouse is extra busy/sick/out of town/otherwise unavailable, the other should step up to assist with the unavailable spouse's household responsibilities.
  • Childcare duties should be shared equally.
  • Take the initiative to help out; don't wait to be nagged asked.
  • Cooperate and work for the good of the whole family.

So, what do you think? Am I being unreasonable? What are some of your family expectations?

2 comments:

Doing My Best said...

I don't think you're being unreasonable; I have similar expectations at my house. I have to say, it took YEARS before both adults, ahem, in our house decided to embrace those expectations. I was VERY FRUSTRATED until then, mainly because I felt unloved when Husband and I would talk about something (like our familial expectations) and I would tell him how important certain things were to me, and he would seem to agree....and then nothing would change. This is a HARD thing to figure out in a marriage.

Do you think your husband would be willing to read you a chapter/section out of the "Five Love Languages" book every evening? Having my husband read that to me in the evenings provided us with some good opportunities to talk about a lot of important things, and gave us good insight into the messages we were sending each other. Good luck!!!!!

Kimberly said...

Nope. You are spot on.
Amen to all of the above.