Sunday, November 13, 2011

Psychiatric follies

I'm guessing no one else will find this as amusing as I do, but I'll post it anyway...

My psychiatrist is a nice guy, but a bit lacking in social skills. The way everyone talked about him, I thought he might have Asperger's. I revised that opinion a bit once I finally met him, but he's still not the most socially adept person I've ever met. At my last appointment, toward the end of our time, we got into a discussion about a newly-acquired bad habit of mine. As I was getting ready to head out the door, he says, "And, Emily, you're going to want to stop [doing that]." The sheer ridiculousness and simplicity of that statement - you know, because it's so simple to just stop it, whatever that "it" might be - made me laugh so hard that I would almost classify it as a cackle. When I laughed, I think he realized the inanity of his statement, and quickly added, "Obviously." It wasn't a very good cover. I giggled about that most of the way home.

2 comments:

Doing My Best said...

It makes you think he JUST DOESN'T GET IT, doesn't it =)?

Bibliomama said...

I saw a psychiatrist once. His office was in a basement that was in the process of being refinished, and there was debris and painting supplies lying around. I said offhandedly "old bomb shelter?" And he said, deadpan, "no. Just an unfinished basement." I didn't go back - anyone who wants to look in my brain needs at least SOME sense of humour.