Sunday, November 27, 2011

The dreaded high school reunion

My high school class had its first reunion last night. Ten years. Makes me feel old. I was technically on the "planning committee" because one of the class officers (mistakenly) thought I was an officer our senior year. I was not excited about this development. Particularly because the lone male in the group and I got our ideas voted down, but whatever. I ended up passing off all of my responsibilities a couple of weeks ago when I seriously thought I was going to end up in the hospital again; I didn't want to be the one who didn't follow through. Not having to do anything was sort of nice, though I did get volunteered to sit at the check-in table for an hour.

The reunion ended up being held at a local organization's basement bar with a potluck and cash bar. It actually didn't turn out as horribly as you might think. There were probably 50-60 people there (out of a class of 200), and most of them still live in the area and are still friends. So that was a little weird for the rest of us. There was a bit of an uproar from a section of the class (mostly the bandies) because someone had posted someone about playing flip cup on the reunion's facebook page. Apparently that meant that those going to the official reunion were too immature for a group of 28-year-olds. This other group is planning their own reunion, for the "adults," at some other time. I still have some contact with one of the organizers of the counter-reunion, so I got an invite. I don't think I'm going. Because, seriously? Getting your panties in a bunch about some of the attendees wanting to play flip cup is far less mature than actually playing flip cup, as far as I'm concerned. And just in case you were wondering, no flip cup ever occurred. There were several games of beer pong, though. Immature bastards.

Two of my three best friends from high school were there, and so were a few other people I was close to. That was about the end of my circle, though. I at least said hi everyone and did the whole awkward "Where are you living? What are you doing? How's life?" chat with them. It was nice to see L and K again, as I haven't talked to either of them in a long time. The three of us were sitting and chatting when a guy friend walked up and commented, "This just looks way too natural. Can you believe it's been 10 years?" I kinda felt the same. It seems so odd to think it's been 10 years since the three of us sat and chatted and had fun together. Nowadays, there's all kinds of uncomfortable back story underlying our interactions, but there were moments when I could have sworn we were back in L's basement, giggling after a showing of Half Baked.

Quick aside. We actually had a conversation about Half Baked and how the hell we ever started watching/liking it. None of us could remember where it came from, and we all concurred that it's really not a very good movie. Definitely not good enough to be watched 458,345,346 times in a four-year period.

Anyway, back to the reunion. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it through without my friend vodka hanging out with me. The whole event was just weird. And awkward. Did I mention awkward? I'm glad we don't have to do it again for another 10 years. Though, really, the awkward factor's probably going to be multiplied by 100 by the time we get to 20 years post-high school, isn't it?

1 comment:

Jill said...

I went to my 10 year reunion, it was 4 years ago and it was totally lame and I just felt like I was back in highschool and all dorky.

I don't think I will go to the 20 year, unless I get a boob job and botox.