Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

I've never been hugely into Black Friday shopping. Getting up that early isn't in my nature, even when I can save a bajillion dollars on DVDs, electronics, and ugly pajamas. I've gone out a few times when there's something I've decided I need (like the $20 shop vac for my brother-in-law's Christmas present a few years ago, or the uber cheap glider and ottoman I decided I had to have when I was pregnant with R, or the new printer that cost less than buying ink cartridges for the printer we had), but I generally don't get up in the middle of the night and shop 'til I drop. If anything, I tend to head out later in the morning - around 9:00 or 10:00 - hoping that some of the stuff that caught my eye might still be in stock. It almost never is, but that doesn't matter too much to me.

Even if I don't intend to brave the crowds, I love looking through the ads, seeing what the good deals are, making fun of the ridiculous ones, weighing which store give the best free gift if you show up at an hour God never intended man to see. My mom always buys a paper on Thanksgiving day, and the ads are spread out all over the living room and passed from person to person.

This year, I'm skipping it completely. I intend to stay as far away from retail outlets as possible today. I think it's from some combination of being broke, being lazy, and being 85% done with my Christmas shopping (thank you, blog giveaways! I'm going to do a post about this...if I ever bother to get off my ass (or hip, if we're being accurate) and take pictures). I've glanced through the ads, and would love, love, love to hunt down a new laptop to replace my poor, miserable baby that my children killed while I was on vacation, but I'm trying to be financially prudent, and our checkbook tells me that buying a new laptop - even at Black Friday prices - is a bad idea. Stupid being a grown up.

What about you? Do you go all out for Black Friday shopping?

No comments: