Thursday, April 28, 2011

What am I getting myself into?

W needs a weighted blanket. Weighted blankets are effing expensive (think $120+ for the size and weight we need). Supplies for weighted blankets are relatively cheap (somewhere in the area of $45). Blanket sewing is not overly complicated. I have minimal sewing skills. Martha Stewart I am not, but I figured I could handle this.

I finally got the last of the supplies in the mail today and started looking into how to sew binding to the edge of the blanket. I think I'm getting in over my head. First of all, I read several binding tutorials, and every single one of them contained sewing words I am unfamiliar with. Second, none of them really included pictures. I'm not usually a visual learner, but these instructions are all dense and convoluted, and some illustrations would have been helpful. Despite all the reading, I still have no idea how I'm going to bind the edges of this blanket that will be stuffed full of poly pellets.

I'm hoping to get the blanket done this weekend. This is going to be a disaster.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Can your mom help? I could ask my MIL if she knows anything about binding if you want.

Kristin said...

If you're attempting quilt binding, I swear by Heather Bailey's tutorial. You can download the PDF here: http://www.heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/continuous_quiltbinding/index.html

Jen said...

Binding is my favorite part of quilting. I just sent you links to tutorials with pictures, and let me know if you have questions. :)

Lara said...

My son also has sensory processing issues, and we gave the weighted blanket a try. It didn't work for us, but our OT brought one that she had made. I would bet if you contacted hit OT (or if he was in birth-3 the OT from there) they would provide you with instructions. At least I hope they would! Our OTs were fantastic, but not all are! Good luck!!! I hope this blanket makes a ton of difference in your little guy!

Doing My Best said...

How did the blanket turn out?