Friday, December 31, 2010

My word

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across the idea (here, which pointed me here) of choosing just one word to strive for over the upcoming year, instead of making a list of resolutions I'm doomed to neglect (not that I ever actually make resolutions...because I kinda think they're a crock...mostly because I never keep them...and failing isn't something I do gracefully...but I digress...). The idea resonated with me, and one word popped into my head almost immediately. I'm taking the fact that I spent less than half a second and no actual, conscious effort coming up with a word as a sign that I need to run with this concept for 2011.

My life has felt like one giant ball of upheaval hiding under a facade of relative calm for months now, and I need to do something about it. Rather than crippling myself with a list of all the things I need to do to "fix" my life - because to-do lists seem to cripple me more than empower me to use the full force of my natural Type A personality traits like they used to - I'm going to concentrate on one word throughout the year and use it center, focus, and ground myself. Hopefully this approach does more for me than my make-resolutions-but-not-really approach.

My word? It's "peace." I want it. I need it. I think I can get at least some semblance of it in the year to come.

What do you think? Good idea or hokey? If you're playing along, what's your word? What do you think of the idea of getting some sort of physical reminder of your word? (Personally, I'm kinda leaning toward getting a ring something like this one with "peace" stamped on it).

Happy New Year, everyone! Thanks for sticking with me (or joining me) in 2010. I hope you'll stay around to see where my crazy train goes in the next year.

Here's to 2011. And here's to a year of peace.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I did this a few years ago (really only because my resolution could be summed up in one word), and it's been my word ever since. Thinking of my word really does help me to center myself; hopefully your word does the same for you. Happy New Year!

Amanda said...

I like the idea and I love the idea of getting the ring, as a constant reminder and goal.