Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Thanksgiving menu

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year. This isn't my first time, and the crowd is smaller than most years, but I'm still trying to do it up right. B's pretty excited about it, so we sat down and came up with a menu together. Here's what we're having:

1. Appetizers
  • Bacon crackers - Don't laugh, they're crowd pleasers.
  • Cheese/cracker/summer sausage tray
2. Main course(s)
3. Sides
  • Cap City Buttermilk Mashers - B and I ate at Cap City Diner once, and fell in love with the mashed potatoes. I love, love, love that they post some of their recipes online so you can try and fail to make some of their yumminess at home.
  • Soul Sweet 'Taters - This Pioneer Woman recipe is pretty similar to the recipe my mom and I usually make for Thanksgiving, but it sounds slightly tastier. So, since I'm in charge this year, we're trying it.
  • Cranberry-Pomegranate Sauce - I made this tonight, and it's awfully tasty. It wasn't nearly as thick as I thought it should be, though, so I'm hoping it thickens as it cools. Otherwise, I might have a bit of an issue.
  • Your basic, run-of-the-mill jellied cranberry sauce - You know, the kind that comes in a can, slides out in one big, can-shaped blob, and is pure deliciousness? What? It's the one time a year I eat the stuff. Back off. Also, I'm in charge this year, so we're having it.
  • Green beans
  • Peas - yeah, yeah, two green veggies. But it's what the young'uns coming to dinner will eat, so we're going with it.
  • Dinner rolls - my mom's making these, so I don't know what recipe she's using.
  • Green bean casserole - *Gag* *Vomit* *Hurl* My brother's baby mama #2 girlfriend fiancee has a thing for green bean casserole, so my mom is making some to bring. I'm pretty sure she's the only one who will touch the stuff.
  • Stuffing - from a box. Only the finest 'round these parts.
4. Desserts
  • Pumpkin Cream Pie - Pioneer Woman, why can't I quit you?
  • Apple pie - another dish my mom is making because the weirdos in my family don't like normal Thanksgiving food.
So there you have it. Are you hosting this year? What are you making?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Quit hating on the GBC Emily! I'm making that for my ILs. For my mom's I'm doing a cranberry relish, chocolate covered oreos, and dinner rolls... plus the table setting. And BTW, you didn't cover the most important part. The wine.