Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mommy's night out

B and I went to a friend's wedding last night. And we left the boys with my mom. It was great. We truly needed a night out and off.

The wedding was tons of fun, and I got to see my besties from law school - it was one of them who got married - which always makes for a good time. I also got to drink without having to worry about intoxicating the baby. Pouring a full bottle of breast milk down the drain of the reception hall bathroom was a bit painful, but the wine was worth it.

After we got home, I went to bed and slept for SIX STRAIGHT HOURS! It's been ages since I've had the ability to sleep for so long at a stretch. And if my boobs hadn't been achingly full, I'm pretty sure I would have slept for another three or four. Is it sad that a full night's sleep is now my idea of heaven? I think so.

On the subject of pumping, I'm pleased to report that I've officially become a cow. I never thought that referring to myself as a cow would make me happy, but it does because it means that I'm currently capable of pumping enough milk to actually feed my kid when I'm not around. In the 24 hours I was away from the baby, I got 22 ounces of milk, and that doesn't include the bottle I dumped at the reception. It's also more than I had in my freezer stash before I left, so I've got a little bit of a jump on the stock to send to daycare. I was never able to do anything close to that with W. I'm hoping this sweet supply keeps up when I go back to work in a week. I'd love to keep R on breast milk, but I absolutely refuse to repeat my pumping experience from the first go-round (pumping every two hours at work and only getting 6-8 ounces - enough for just one feeding).

I live for these nights off, and they're always better when you get to spend them with good friends. Now that my mommy batteries are recharged, I feel ready and able to face parenthood until the next chance I have to get away for awhile. I'm shooting for a trip to upstate New York over Labor Day weekend...if B actually goes to the bachelor party he's invited to next weekend, I'm pretty sure I can make that happen. It times like these when I love the quid pro quo thing we have going in our relationship; if one of us gets some time away, so does the other one. I'll be counting down the days.

1 comment:

LSM said...

Good luck on the pumping! One thing I learned while I was nursing my kids is that your body will adjust to whatever feeding schedule you use. So, if pumping is not getting you enough to be worth it, just cut out those feedings and continue to nurse when you're actually with your son. That way, you can keep up the nursing relationship as long as you like without having to stop completely just because pumping is not effective.