Monday, February 15, 2010

An update on The Deuce

As I've gotten to a point where I can't really ignore the fact that I'm pregnant any more - try thought I might - I suppose I should maybe start paying some attention to this kid.

I had my 30 (I think...I still don't really know how far along I am or anything) week appointment today. Everything looks good. I passed my glucose test, and actually had low blood sugar, which the OB told me to be aware of. I guess that might explain why I felt like I was going to die when I didn't get lunch until around 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, I'm not anemic. I was hoping I was because that would have been an easy solution to my extreme and utter exhaustion. She told me if I'm still feeling as tired at my next appointment, we'll have my thyroid checked. Yay. I also gained a shitload of weight, and I'm pretty sure I've almost hit my total weight gain from W's pregnancy with 10 (or so) weeks left to go. Actually, now that I really think about it, I think I surpassed it. Ugh.

This baby is beating the crap out of me physically, which even the OB thinks is bad this early on. I've been having killer headaches (without the swelling and BP issues this time), my pubic bone hurts every time I move or breathe, and there's a spot on my right ribcage that spends most of its day screaming at me (and it's not one of the baby's preferred kicking targets). My physical ailments did score me a prescription for some Tylenol 3, though, so I guess all the suffering isn't entirely in vain.

I start going every two weeks now. The bi-weekly appointment schedule is starting at a terrible time. My trial schedule is nuts for the next couple of months, which makes finding time for OB appointments a major pain. I'm dying to do some of these trials, and if I have to bump OB appointments to make it happen, so be it. I already had to screw with the schedule to make my next appointment, as we have a two-week-long murder trial that interferes with the 32(-ish) week appointment. I think I've moved things around to the point that I can go before and after this murder trial, but then we have another two-week murder trial that will probably cause issues because we don't have enough of a break between the two trials for me to get to the OB. My OB really needs to have some evening hours. Or an office in the city where I work.

Oh, and if this kid decides to show up early and makes me miss either of these trials, I will be pissed (as will the coworker who will have to take over trial duties in my absence).

Slimey doesn't have a name yet. Nothing is really striking my fancy. B hasn't come up with too much, either, though he has picked a middle name.

In other news, B and I bought a new mattress yesterday! It was a sorely, sorely needed purchase. Our old set was older than both of us (probably older than both of us combined), and one side was completely flattened and had a ginormous crater. It did not make for comfy sleeping conditions. We weren't really planning to buy yesterday, but we got a pretty good deal on a Simmons set that we could walk out the door with, and even got split box springs, which made getting the whole set-up upstairs to our bedroom much easier (no hauling this stuff up through the breezeway). Now, we just need to remember that this mattress is a few inches taller than our last one...every time I got up to pee last night, I about fell on my butt because I was expecting floor to hit my feet much sooner than it did.

We shopped for paint chips yesterday, too (talk about an exciting Valentine's Day). Now, we have about a million different paint chips and not one idea about what we're going to end up doing with them. I really want to get the nursery and W's room painted before the baby gets here, but I'm so freaking awful with decorating. I don't know what I want or what might look good, and I'm not finding any inspiration online. All the pictures I'm finding are so theme-y. I don't really think the boys' rooms need themes. They just need paint. And maybe some pictures or wall stickers or something. And definitely some shelving. They certainly don't need to look like a bedding set puked all over them, and I have no idea how to accomplish that.

I also had another counseling appointment today. Honestly, if I had known (or, maybe, admitted to myself) that counseling would be so helpful and therapeutic, and so easy, I would have done it years ago. I felt great when I left, and got a great new perspective on a few things. I have a couple of things I want to discuss with B, but that would mean actually telling him I've started counseling...we'll see if the topic comes up between now and my next appointment.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

So glad to hear counseling is going well for you.
And the weight thing I'm with ya...my dr was all like "you'd probably be more comfortable staying at around 30 pounds this time" (with Gav it was like 40pds)...um I'm only 10 weeks & already gained lke 6 pounds...think I'm screwed in that area again : ( lol