Thursday, January 7, 2010

Time for some will-breaking

B and I were chastised by W's eye doctor earlier this week because we aren't trying hard enough to get him to wear his glasses. Fine. But if you're going to yell at me, you also need to give me some suggestions on how to fix the problem. The doc suggested following him around all day and putting his glasses back on every time he takes them off. Brilliant. We haven't tried that before. /dripping sarcasm. He also said to try holding him on one of our laps and restraining his arms so he can't get to his glasses for an hour. Also brilliant. W just loooooooves sitting still and being held, especially when he can't move his arms. (Sorry, that sarcasm kicked in again)

I was whining to my mom about the whole situation, and she suggested a weekend-long wear-your-damn-glasses-kid boot camp. This boot camp will consist of nothing but making W wear his glasses, no matter how much crying, screaming, and frustration results. We need to get the kid to stop thinking it's super fun to pull his glasses off his head, and to realize that those things on his face are what's making him see better (I can tell he sees better with the glasses on, and he gets really excited about seeing better, but he hasn't quite made the connection between glasses and sight yet).

Now that's a brilliant idea.

Mom also suggested that she and I could do it at her house this weekend, as B has very little with patience with W sometimes, and I mentioned that the boot camp would probably send B over the edge

So, we're going to try it. W and I are headed to Grandma's tomorrow after work. I think it's going to be a long weekend. I'm just hoping to come home with my sanity intact, and a baby who wears his glasses.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think that is a fantastic idea Em!

Swistle said...

Oh what a good idea!

Rylie's Mama said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and was glad to find someone else that has a kid with glasses. My Rylie is 11 1/2 months old and we're struggling to get her to keep her glasses on too. She's ok for a few minutes and everytime I turn my head BAM, they're in her mouth. Good luck on the Bootcamp! I'm interested to see how it goes!