Monday, May 4, 2009

Miscellany

Today was Law Day (ok, not really, but it's when my local bar association celebrated Law Day). Because I'm a sucker and felt a need to get involved, I ended up as the Law Day Committee Co-Chair (if we're getting technical...I actually ended up doing all the work because my "co-chair" couldn't be bothered to help. Or show up at the events today). The majority of the crazy planning actually took place before I joined the bar association, so most of my stuff was pretty easy. Of course, since I was in charge, things all started going horribly awry at the last minute. I've spent the last week frantically trying to find a speaker for the luncheon, arrange for an award we weren't planning on giving, and figure out thank-yous. Despite all the last-minute snafus, the day went off without a hitch. And I'm all prepared to fully take over the planning next year. I've been told that once you chair a committee, you're stuck with it forever (or at least until the next unsuspecting young attorney shows up and tries to get involved).

* * *

On a related(ish) topic, I'm currently trying to figure out how I can start blogging more about my professional life. This blog has been pretty mommy-centric, and that's not all there is to me. My work has become a big part of my life - a part that I truly enjoy - and I want to talk about it. But I'm scared. I don't want to give away too much or risk posting something that might get me in trouble. I really don't think anyone from work reads this or would easily be able to associate it with me if they found it, but I'm not willing to bet my job on it. For now, I'm going to start sticking my toe in the job-blogging waters and see how it goes.

* * *

Continuing in that vein, I got to go to a really great legal writing seminar last week. It was taught by Bryan Garner, the editor of Black's Law Dictionary (and the man about whom this Courtoon was written), and included a lot of good, practical tips. I have yet to start following his four rules for becoming a better writer (bad Emily!), but I intend to at some point. He recommends: subscribing to two well-edited publications (he suggested The New Yorker and The Economist, so you get both sides of the political spectrum) and reading at least one article a week for content; reading one good book on the art of writing every quarter; buying two usage dictionaries and browsing them daily; and writing one letter (a real, pen-to-paper letter) every day. I'm particularly interested to see if I can make myself do the letter writing portion. I'm terrible at writing letters, but I think it's a valuable skill to learn. To any lawyers who may be reading this, if you get a chance to take "Advanced Legal Writing & Editing" from LawProse, do it. It's much less painful than most CLEs. It's also the cause of the copious increase in hyphen usage in this blog.

* * *

Because I'm nothing if not self-deprecating, I'm participating in MckMama's Not Me! Monday. On Saturday when we went to an out-of-town wedding, I absolutely did not leave my overnight bag - with all of my gear and most of the baby's - sitting on our dining room floor. Nope, not me!

* * *

We have new neighbors. They're already being loud. And the parking situation is going to be a nightmare. I hate living in a twinplex.

* * *

We've really started looking (online) at houses to purchase. Unfortunately, houses in the town I would really like to live in are on the pricey side. We'll be able to get much more house for our money if we live out in the country, but I'm just not sure I can bring myself to do that. We're pseudo in the country now, and I don't like it. I miss having a grocery store (or three) just down the road.

* * *

I still need a blog name for the baby. I'm feeling completely uninspired in this area.

* * *

I've apparently given up on sleeping. I've been super wired the past few nights. It sucks. I'm exhausted, but I just can't sleep. I'm half tempted to break out the Tylenol PM just so I can get more than about three hours of sleep.

* * *

I haven't ordered our moms their Mother's Day presents yet. I have a good reason for waiting on my mom's, but none for waiting on my mother-in-law's. I just got lazy and forgetful. I'm also getting them from the same website, so I'm trying to save on shipping (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

* * *

Some days I still really think I should have been a nurse. Maybe someday I'll go back to school. I doubt it, but wishful thinking never hurt, right?

* * *

And finally, I've been feeling extremely disposable lately. I was going to do a post about this by itself, but I'm trying to avoid being thoroughly depressing all the time now, so I thought I'd just blurb it. I feel like my role in people's lives is expendable. Like I don't really make all that much difference to a lot of the people I know. Whether I'm around or not, it doesn't matter. They can easily get rid of me and replace me with someone or something else. Disposable. I don't know where this is coming from, but I don't think I like it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

If everyone else tries to dispose of you (perhaps I should come up with a better way to word that...), you can come live with me.

I've also given up on sleeping, although instead of not sleeping at all, I toss and turn and thrash around violently all night long. Ugh.

Amy said...

I can rec some really nerdy grammar/writing books if you're interested....