Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Germaphobe in the making

I am not a germ person. I'm the kind of girl who plops right down on a public toilet seat (assuming there's no standing water). I shamelessly pick food up off the floor and eat it (as long as it's not sticky food). In a pinch, I'm pretty sure I'd be ok with using someone else's toothbrush (no, I've never done it, and I don't intend to. I'm just saying...). Suffice it to say that I don't worry about germs. Ever.

Generally, my carefree attitude has worked for me. I haven't been really sick in a long time, and tend to get one, maybe two, colds a year. Now, however, I think I've caught a touch of germaphobia.

Let me explain. We now have a nasty, germy little kid in the house. His nasty, germy little kid germs are BRUTAL. B and I have both been fighting colds for about a month and a half now. These colds originated with the wee one. No matter what preventative and remedial measures we've taken, we haven't managed to kick these or prevent the from recurring. To make things worse, he's got another one now. Which means B and I will probably get another cold (on top of the current one). I'm just thankful he hasn't picked up something more lethal, like a nasty stomach bug or the plague. I think that's because there are only two other kids at his baby sitter's, and the other kids are related to the sitter. That means we've only got one pool of potential illnesses to worry about instead of multiple ones. This is a small comfort to me.

As a result of the germs floating around my house, I've picked up some germaphobe tendencies, like hand sanitizer and actively preventing the baby from grabbing my lips and tongue with his slobber-covered hands. I haven't quite hit the OCD hand washing stage yet, but it can't be far away...

No comments: