Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm supposed to enjoy this?

Really? Breastfeeding is supposed to be something I like (or at least don't despise) doing? I've been doing it for almost three weeks now, and I just don't see it. My nips are raw and sore (and they've kinda started burning when he eats...I'm not sure that's normal...), my boobs are achy and tender (but at least not engorged any more), I hate wearing a bra 24/7 (and also hate waking up in the middle of the night completely milk-drenched because my pad shifted while I slept), and it's royally boring (you can only look at the half asleep kid sucking on your boob for so long, you know?). Plus, I can't leave him and go do something by myself (including sleeping) for more than two hours, in case he wakes up screaming to be fed. Being solely responsible for ensuring he doesn't starve kinda sucks. No pun intended.

I guess I just don't get the appeal. I'm not going to stop (I'm still too cheap to buy formula when he's got a perfectly good cow right here at home), but I certainly don't enjoy it the way boob pushers seem to think I should. Chalk this one up to my overall motherhood abnormalities, I guess.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I sort of felt the same way. I did enjoy it though, I just don't know how people can exclusively do it for like a year! And yes, the formula is ridiculous! $23 a week basically...ugh!

Michelle said...

It gets better, you just have to push through. Hang in there!

Kelly said...

It definitely gets better, I was right there with ya the first few weeks but things should start getting easier soon, and I'll pray that Lil William sttn at 5 weeks like A did;0) By sleep through I mean 6-7 hours.